Friday, June 20, 2008

The older woman

My oldest son, Christian turned 14 in March. He has always been a good kid. Good grades, good at sports and kind for the most part. In sixth grade I noticed he had a real interest in girls. They almost seemed to have magic powers in his mind. I had tried the "no dating" thing with the girls. Leighann never did car dates(to my knowledge) until she was atleast 16. Lynsi did a car date at 15 to a prom and her sister was with her. Now Christian at 14 just doesn't see what the big deal is.
I'm sure you're thinking, Christian can't drive, he's only 14. Well, Christian's new friend, Ashley is 16!! At the end of the school year he broke up with his age appropriate g/f Liz, telling me that it's summer, he wouldn't see her, so what's the point? (I was actually proud of him, thinking it would get his mind off the chicks for a while) Not 2 days later he is on the phone with Ashley. Then he asks if he can go swimming with her at her step-dads house. So I start my investigation, who will be there... How would you get home... I want to speak to an adult who will be there. As I am digging for clues I find out Ashley would be bringing him home. No wait, DRIVING him home. She is going to be a senior this year! So of course the answer is NO. We proceed with the whole talk on the importance of abstinence. God has someone for you when the time is right. You are likely in two different places in your life as she is so much older.
Of course he tells us everything we want to hear, I went away feeling a little better.
Well, a few nights ago, he asks if he can go to the movies with her. She would be driving. I am chewing a bloody hole in my tongue, choking on "Hell no!" But manage,"Let me think about it". In an attempt to not alienate my son, I decide a good compromise would be for her to come over and watch a movie downstairs with all of us here.
With the news of our house guest, my daughter Lynsi shows up. She wanted to check out the cradle-robber. We are quietly talking back in forth about what she would look like. Is she a heavy girl with a "nice personality" or a "butter face" as Lynsi says. Nice girl, nice physique, but her face...when she arrives.
She is driving a car nicer than mine(not a big stretch, but geez) and she is sweet, and pretty! She did have a few green streaks in her blonde pony tail, but it was a school spirit thing.
So what is she doing with my 14 year old son? So any of you Mom's, this is a cry for help. I don't really know what to do, besides limit their time together. It is very hard to be objective when it's your kid, and he hasn't really done anything wrong. I will be anxiously waiting for any words of wisdom. And prayer please<3

3 comments:

the (not so) reluctant housewife said...

that's a tough one. I mean, you wonder why a 16 year old likes a 14year old, but then again, we were all that age at one time, too, and would it be different if it was your daughter and not your son who was the younger one. I think you did the right thing with your compromise, and maybe continue to compromise like that until you feel comfortable letting him go somewhere with her. And who knows, by them getting to know each in that manner, maybe it will not even go any further than "dates" at your house (or other peoples houses). I know you want to give them freedoms so they don't rebel later, but you don't want to give them carte blance either. Fourteen is a precarious age for a hormonal teenage boy, especially since you say he has been girl crazy for quite some time! I'm sure no matter how many times you've been through each age & stage, you will always encounter unchartered territory and it sounds like you are doing a great job "exploring" it.

Good luck with this and keep us all posted on how things progress.

On a side note, here's a link for the for the anniversary chart: http://www.findgift.com/Anniversary-Table/

I was 5 months pregnant on our first anniversary....Brian got me a book on pregnancy (the gift was paper!)...not a good 1st anniversary gift for your pregnant wife ☻

The Lazy Perfectionist said...

I like the "hell no" answer. :)

the (not so) reluctant housewife said...

you like that answer, Teresa, because you are years away from dating ☺